Ticket #1486 (closed defect: fixed)
Editor completion is confusing
|Reported by:||dborca||Owned by:||slavazanko|
|Branch state:||Votes for changeset:||committed-master|
Editor completion became really confusing in 4.7.0-pre1:
- The list is populated with words from the entire file. This is arguably better than the old style, which scanned only up to the cursor. But the number of suggestions are limited, and if you have a bigger file, some words won't make it in the list. Besides, I somehow liked the old way.
- Suggestions do not end on a word boundary. This may or may be not useful; but it just increases the list of suggestions, which slows the user. In the end, it beats the purpose of completions.
- It completes the word I am currently editing. That's smart. :)
- The suggestions are displayed in the order in which they were found from the beginning of the file. This is my main gripe, because when using the editor for coding, it is better to have suggestions based on the distance to the cursor. Closer means higher. When writing a function, I am mainly interested in the variable names I recently used.
- Sometimes, it does not work at all, but I haven't investigated the bug. :(
I have attached the patch (against 4.7.0-pre1) which mimics the old behavior, but with the new search engine and minimal changes.
- Status changed from new to accepted
- Owner set to slavazanko
comment:10 Changed 8 years ago by angel_il
- Votes for changeset changed from andrew_b to andrew_b angel_il
- severity changed from on review to approved
comment:11 Changed 8 years ago by slavazanko
- Status changed from accepted to testing
- Votes for changeset changed from andrew_b angel_il to commited-master
- Resolution set to fixed
- severity changed from approved to merged