Ticket #3050 (closed defect: fixed)
Bright colors being used as background colors
|Reported by:||egmont||Owned by:||andrew_b|
|Branch state:||merged||Votes for changeset:||committed-master|
egrep ';(gray|yellow|white|bright)' skins/*.ini
This lists many occurrences where a bright color, which is only valid as a foreground color in the legacy 16-color world, is being used as background color.
This results in a completely different look with TERM=xterm (16 fg, 8 bg colors) or with TERM=xterm-256color (256 fg+bg colors) settings. With 16-color settings the color reverts to its non-bright counterpart, whereas with 256-color settings the actual bright version is used.
I really doubt that in any of these cases the goal was to be such different in the two cases, or that actually both cases were tested. Probably someone just a picked a color that looked good with their settings, and most likely it doesn't look that good with the other setup.
I believe bright colors shouldn't be used as background colors for this reason. Except, of course, in skins that were explicitly designed for the 256-color world.
(Sibling of ticket #3048.)
- Status changed from new to accepted
- Owner set to andrew_b
- Branch state changed from no branch to on review
- Milestone changed from Future Releases to 4.8.11
- Votes for changeset changed from slavazanko to slavazanko angel_il
- Branch state changed from on review to approved
- Status changed from accepted to testing
- Votes for changeset changed from slavazanko angel_il to committed-master
- Resolution set to fixed
- Branch state changed from approved to merged