Ticket #2193 (closed enhancement: fixed)
Make MC faster at copying files withing one HDD: add a large buffer option
|Reported by:||birdie||Owned by:||andrew_b|
|Branch state:||merged||Votes for changeset:||committed-master|
Currently MC has the same small buffer (64K) for all copy operations regardless their source and destination.
This has the following problem: when you need to copy a small file withing one physical HDD, HDD itself will spend a good chunk of time repositioning heads to read the next tiny portion of data.
I propose to implement a new Copy File(s) dialog option:
[X] Use large buffers
where copy_large_buffer can be defined as an option of the mc.ini file, with a default value of 64MB (it's quite sane for modern PCs).
comment:16 Changed 13 months ago by andrew_b
- Status changed from new to accepted
- Owner set to andrew_b
- Branch state changed from no branch to on review
comment:19 Changed 12 months ago by andrew_b
- Votes for changeset set to andrew_b
- Branch state changed from on review to approved
- Milestone changed from Future Releases to 4.8.17
comment:20 Changed 12 months ago by andrew_b
- Status changed from accepted to testing
- Votes for changeset changed from andrew_b to committed-master
- Resolution set to fixed
- Branch state changed from approved to merged